Tuesday 17 September 2013

Intertextuality

This notion was introduced by Julia Kristeva and she argued against the concept of text as an isolated entity within media elements.
'Any text is the absorption and transformation of another'.
Every text or object is full of representations or references to other media texts or genres.
Some refer directly to each other for example film remakes or how the program 'The Simpsons' relates to real life.
This theory is influence by the public's knowledge and awareness of other texts.
The theory refers to other texts and media's to incorporate reality into the media persuading the audience that the narrative is real.

A clear example of this is musicians taking inspirations from past artists who have had hits because of their visuals. The theory being by copying these visuals the different musician's song will also become a 'hit'.







Marilyn Monroe- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.







 Madonna- Material Girl.











From looking at intertextuality i have seen how i can make my video more popular with my audience by creating common recognizable ground. What i mean is by showing them something they are familiar with they are able to relate more and connect more with my video. So in my video i may use common fears in my video that people may recognize and relate to and even feel empathy towards my actor. This way my viewers will feel more involved and engulfed with my video as they carry on watching for the thrill as that is what my genre focuses on. Thrill and representing high energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment