Tuesday 10 September 2013

Rihanna-Disturbia

  In this short video we see Rihanna at first shaking her head side to side. This small gesture seems to me like it has been sped up a little bit to give the notion a sharpness  unreal quickness to make the action seem more weird and abnormal. I also like her make up as she is behind the bars confined in her jail cell. The contacts in her eyes make her look vacant and yet her facial expressions say other wise this allows her to look very ghost like and surreal to scare and interest her viewers. I also like the beam lights behind her flickering as I think they create a real stereotypical 'horror movie' atmosphere and these back lights contribute to creating a light source within the low lit set. I also like how we see two frames over lapping each other as this creates a dizzy fatigues distorted view of her reaching out.

 I like how in this short clip she Is representing a very common fear 'claustrophobia' and this is the fear of small tight spaces. I like how this can create a very uncomfortable short scene and may cause discomfort  some viewers to watch to b completely immobilised from being chained up and restricted and then stuck in a tiny space. I like the idea of representing a common fear to create discomfort and yet the viewers will keep watching because of the artist.

                                 Different theory's can be applied to both these clips for example There is a switch between a performance and the narrative of the video supporting an element of goodwins theory as throughout the whole video there is a dance routine. When she is chained up in the small room close ups are used as she struggles on her face and on her feet this is an element of the male gaze theory as we are made to look at her struggle and analyse her distress. Also in both clips her costume is very limited and she is showing skin in both clips to make herself appear more appealing and sexy to viewers. Archers theory is represented in the element that she aids visualisation with a dance routine throughout the whole video.
                   I like the editing techniques shown of overlapping two frames as it creates a dizzy dream like surreal effect and I will consider using this in my own video. I will also think about representing a common fear in my video as i like the discomfort and yet curiosity it creates among the viewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment