Monday 23 September 2013

Target Audience

To have a better idea at who my target audience is i did some research on the bands that i have looked out and found a common link. They have all at one point been represented by kerrang. I then looked up the target audience of kerrang to find out my target audience for alternative rock and for my own music video. I looked at some of the statistics of kerrang and found that the median age of buyers are 22.   This means my audience could range from being around 18 to oldest 25. I think this is suitable because alternative rock music can have explicit lyrics and videos that a younger audience may find disturbing or may not even understand. Also from doing my research on Alternative rock i found that the music and lyrics are mainly aimed at a rock star lifestyle including sex and drugs. People who buy kerrang normally have an abc1 profile so they are old enough to be earning a bit of money to be buying the magazine at £2.99.
             I also found out that 87% of readers buy every issue of kerrang and this will allow the audience to follow and keep in touch with there favorite bands as kerrang will have all the latest band information. It also means that the majority of the buyers are dedicated fans and love to hear about their band.
                 From looking at what i have found out i then decided to look at a kerrang magazine myself so i went out and bought the latest issue.

This is the issue i bought. I will be referring to this a lot so i can see how they have attracted there target audience as i may be able to use some of these techniques for my own magazine ad or album cover. Th
e bold lettering and dirty looking Font immediately captures the genre as it looks very rough and reminds me of grunge.The colours on the magazine are bright which capture viewers attention and the colours are red and yellow which can both connote to danger. I think this makes the magazine look intimidating and almost aggressive. The person on the front cover is also aggressive looking as he is facing forward looking directly at the camera.


When looking through the magazine i found this page which is a whole article on the foo fighters and an interview with Dave Grohl the lead singer of the band. Foo Fighters are a band i have actually looked at and therefore this shows that i am on the right track by looking at kerrang. I think this shows that the foo fighters have the same target audience as kerrang for them to be having a whole double page spread article on them.


I then found this page!! AHAHAHAHA!...Anyway this is a page on what kerrang believes are the best rock music videos and they have included bands nirvana and 30 seconds to mars. Again these are bands i have looked at and so this shows i am on the right track looking at these as its these types of videos that my audience will be interested in and what i will have to aim for when creating my own music video.

 I then found this whole double page spread dedicated to MCR (My Chemical Romance) which is another band i have looked at. I have found out by buying this magazine that i have been looking at the right bands for my targeted audience and hopefully i can create my own music video by following the codes and conventions of the videos i have looked at and i will attract my target audience.


No comments:

Post a Comment